Some families will benefit from counseling about pregnancy risks and management options prior to trying to conceive. Our Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists combine expertise and empathy to equip couples with valuable knowledge prior to conceiving.
Our experienced physicians listen to each patient and address their specific needs based on a variety of considerations including:
- A previously complicated pregnancy due to preterm labor, preterm delivery and/or other conditions
- Genetic disorders
- Fetal anomalies
- Maternal medical conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
Preconception counseling can help clarify specific pregnancy risks and evaluate possible means to minimize risks to both mother and baby. Counseling may also involve meeting with one of our genetic counselors to discussed ways to screen parents-to-be for genetic diseases as well as provide screening options during pregnancy to evaluate for chromosomal abnormalities.
Beyond their individual training and collective years of experience, our physicians provide an extensive array of diagnostic tests and services tailored to meet the specific needs of your pregnancy.
In addition to a well-balanced diet, essential lifestyle habits should include:
- Taking a prenatal (daily) vitamin with folic acid prior to conception
- Being physically active
- Elimination of tobacco, alcohol and illicit drugs
- Avoiding environmental exposures like second-hand smoke, lead, radiation and litter boxes